Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Carbs - Friend or Foe?

I am now making a conscientious effort to reduce the amount of carbohydrate-rich food that I consume every day. With diets like Atkins that are low-carb promise super-fast weight loss, it seems as if carbs are the enemy of the weight-loss process. But just to make sure, I decided to do some research to see if can confirm whether or not carbs and I should part for good.

By the way, this is a “low-carb” meal that I ate recently – My boyfriend made the chicken and he wanted me to let you all know that :) Anyway, I just wanted to see if it would satisfy my hunger (it didn’t by the way). Next time I will try adding a good carb. You’ll find out what that is as you read on.



Carbs – Friend or foe?
I have looked at so much conflicting information about carbohydrates that right now, I don’t know where I stand with them anymore. It used to be that carbs and I were best friends – my favorite foods are carb heavy. I love pasta, bread, cereal, rice and potatoes, which are the poster foods for carb-rich fare. It’s rare that I eat a meal without carbs. I might even go so far as to say I am a carb addict.
I hope that by writing this article I can clear some things up for both of us, and decide once and for all whether carbs go on the “Eat” or “Do not eat” list.

What are carbohydrates?
Carbohydrates are the main energy source for your body. High-carbohydrate foods include soft drinks, fruits, sweets, bread, pasta, beans, potatoes, cereals, bran, and rice. 

There are 2 kinds of carbohydrates: 1) Complex carbohydrates, which are referred to as starch or starchy foods 2) Simple carbohydrates, which are known as sugars. Both of these are found in natural and refined forms.

If you’re interested in learning the science behind it, visit http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/focus/nutrition/facts/lifestylemanagement/carbohydrates.htm, which gives a relatively simple breakdown of the stuff I can't explain.

Bad carbs vs. good carbs
Processed carbohydrates are, in general, the ones that are bad for you. Foods that contain processed carbohydrates include white bread, white rice, potato chips, etc.

Minimally processed or unprocessed foods are good carbohydrates. Good complex carbs include brown rice, oats, nuts include whole grain cereal. Good simple carbs include fruits and vegetables.
Good carbs are considered good carbs because they also give you fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Fiber is important because it helps you to feel full, lowers blood cholesterol, and reduces your risk for type 2 diabetes.

So should I eat them or not?
No, you should not cut out all carbs – just choose the good carbs over the bad ones. Carbs are important because they give your body the energy it needs to do physical activity, so eat beans, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Carbohydrates that come from white bread, white rice, sugary sodas, pastries, and other processes foods can cause you to gain weight and develop heat disease or diabetes.
The Harvard School of Public Health’s website gives these tips on adding good carbohydrates to your diet:
  • Start the day with whole grains. If you're partial to hot cereals, try old-fashioned or steel-cut oats. If you're a cold cereal person, look for one that lists whole wheat, whole oats, or other whole grain first on the ingredient list.
  • Use whole grain breads for lunch or snacks. Check the label to make sure that whole wheat or another whole grain is the first ingredient listed.
  • Bag the potatoes. Instead, try brown rice or even "newer" grains like bulgur, wheat berries, millet, or hulled barley with your dinner.
  • Pick up some whole wheat pasta. If the whole grain products are too chewy for you, look for those that are made with half whole-wheat flour and half white flour. 
  • Bring on the beans. Beans are an excellent source of slowly digested carbohydrates as well as a great source of protein.
If you were confused before like I was, I hope this clears things up for you. Next time, I’ll add some brown rice (a good carb!) to my meal so that I don’t starve to death.

Eat beautiful everyone!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment